Swiss chard and lentils with coconut
Swiss chard and lentils with coconut is a healthy recipe that can be served over brown rice or quinoa for a complete meal.
There is something satisfying about eating healthy wholesome meal, especially when you make it with few basic ingredients. Chard and lentils is one such recipe which has proteins, greens and healthy carbs. Garlic, onion, red chillies and turmeric bring all the ingredients of this dish together and a little sprinkle of shredded coconut enhances the flavor.
In this recipe, I have used red lentils. This recipe works well for brown or green lentils too. You can also substitute swiss chard for spinach, but it is always good to have variety of green leafy vegetables in you diet. Serve this with brown rice or quinoa. Or, just simply top with a dollop of yogurt, which is my favorite way of eating this dish.
For more lentils and beans recipe on my blog, visit here.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes
1/2 red or white onion, chopped
1 bunch swiss chard, stems and leaves chopped separately
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup whole red lentils, boiled in salted water
1/4 cup shredded coconut, unpacked
- Bring a pan to heat in medium flame. Add mustard seeds and garlic. Saute until the garlic is lightly browned.
- Add onions and red chilli flakes. Saute for 2 minutes. Just when the onions start to sweat, add the stems of swiss chard, and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Add the swiss chard leaves, turmeric powder, and salt and mix well. Saute until the chard is fried well.
- Add the cooked lentils and shredded coconut and mix well. Cook on medium-high heat to evaporate any excess moisture.
- Top it with greek yogurt or serve with rice/quinoa.