Paneer, is an Indian unsalted cheese which is very commonly used in the north Indian recipes. It is the most popular choice for vegetarians in restaurants and weddings. It is made by curdling heated milk with lemon juice or vinegar which is then strained over a muslin cloth.
I like to buy frozen paneer from Indian grocery store which makes cooking up a dish very easy. I thaw it in hot water on the counter while I am prepping the other ingredients in the dish. It also helps in keeping the paneer soft and tender.
Paneer jalfrezi is an easy stir fry recipe which is usually served with roti or chapati. This onions and bell peppers give a subtle sweet taste to the dish. I like to cut the ingredients lengthwise. It appears good on plate and keeps the dish looking interesting. The leftovers, if any, make for a good sandwich as well.
oil, 1 tablespoon
garlic, sliced, 3-4 big cloves
onions, sliced, 1 medium
bell peppers or capsicum, sliced lengthwise, 1 big
coriander powder, 1 tablespoon
turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon
red chilli powder, 1 teaspoon
salt, 1/2-1 teaspoon
cilantro, finely chopped, 5-6 sprigs
paneer or Indian cottage cheese, sliced lengthwise, a block of 2 x 2 inches
ginger, cut into matchsticks, 5-6 sticks
- Heat oil in a pan in medium-low and add the sliced garlic. Saute for a minute and add the onions. Fry the onions until they have slightly browned. This step could take around 8 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and saute for 2 minutes.
- Next, add the spices – coriander powder, turmeric powder and chilli powder. Also, add salt and half of cilantro. Mix and saute for a few seconds.
- Now, add the cottage cheese and ginger. Mix well and cover the pan with lid. Taste and adjust the salt if needed. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Serve the dish as a side with roti, chapati or savory crackers.