Okra fry is a simple recipe made with just a few spices alone. It does not require any masala that needs to be ground or any vegetable that has to be chopped. Just a few spices stuffed into okra and shallow fried until crispy.
I like to use store bought spice powder like chicken or meat masala along with chaat powder which gives it a tangy taste. These spices can easily be substituted with simple coriander and cumin powder or garam masala powder as well. Each give a different flavor but the star ingredient is the okra which blends well with every spice. If you are using store bought spice powders, go slow on the salt as these spices already have lot of salt.
I usually pair this with roti and dal or yogurt. I also like to make a simple lemony onion salad which goes very well with the entire dish.
chaat masala, 1 teaspoon
dry mango powder, 1/2 teaspoon)
chicken or meat masala, any store brand, 2 tablespoon
coriander powder, 1 tablespoon
cumin powder, 1/2 tablespoon
red chilli powder, 1/2 teaspoon)
salt, as per taste
oil, 3-4 tablespoon
- Rinse and thoroughly dry the okra with kitchen towels.
- Cut the ends and slit lengthwise without cutting it into halves. Set aside.
- Mix chicken masala with chaat masala powder. Check for the seasoning and add salt only if needed.
- Fill this spice powder mix into each okra without breaking it apart.
- Heat a flat pan on medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoon of oil to coat the pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium and shallow fry the okra on the pan. Keep drizzling the oil as and when needed to allow the skin to crisp up a little.
- Serve it as a side with any meal or as an appetizer with salad.