Mushroom Pulao in Pressure Cooker
Mushroom pulao is an easy one pot recipe made in pressure cooker or any pot with a lid. The aroma of cinnamon and cardamom along with fresh mint and cilantro impart a beautiful flavor to this dish. Serve it with a simple raita and it is a quick lunch or dinner.
Mushroom is one of those vegetables that takes some time for people to get used to it. I was one among them and now I buy every two weeks. Mushroom has a lot of health benefits. It is a good source of selenium and calcium which promotes bone health. Also as they are lower in calories, it is ideal for weight watchers.
In this recipe, I have used sona masuri rice, a medium-grain rice which can be replaced by basmati or any medium or long grained rice. The only time-consuming process in this recipe is of frying onions which need to be browned on a lower flame. I use this time to clean and chop mushrooms and other ingredients like tomatoes, cilantro and mint. Now, let’s cook..
white rice, basmati or sona masoori soaked for 30 minutes, 2 cups
white button mushrooms, medium, diced, 10-12
green peas,frozen or fresh, 1/2 cup
bay leaves, 2-3
cinnamon, whole, 2 inch stick
cloves, whole, 4-5
cardamom, whole, 3-4
star anise flower, 1
shaahi jeera, 1 teaspoon
onion, finely sliced, 1 large
green chillies, slit, 2-3
ginger, crushed or minced, 1 tablespoon
garlic, crushed or minced, 1 tablespoon
tomatoes, finely chopped, 1 medium
cilantro, finely chopped, 1/2 cup
mint, finely chopped, 1/2 cup
turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon
garam masala, 2 teaspoon
chilli powder, 1/2 teaspoon
oil, 3 tablespoon
salt, as needed
- Heat oil in a pan or pressure cooker on medium heat. Add all the whole spices (bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, star anise and shaahi jeera) and saute for a few seconds until the spices sizzle a little.
- Add the sliced onions, crushed ginger and garlic and fry on medium-low until the onions are browned well. This process could take around 10 minutes.
- Add the green chillies, green peas and mushroom and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chopped cilantro and mint and cook until the tomatoes moisten for about 2-3 minutes.
- Then add turmeric powder, garam masala, chilli powder and salt and mix well.
- Add the soaked rice and 3 cups of water and pressure cook on medium for 7 minutes or 15 minutes on any other pot.
- Serve hot with raita.