Easy No-fail Dal Fry Recipe
Spicy, tangy, yummylicious dal tempered with ghee and garlic is an easy and no fail recipe. Serve it with simple steamed white rice, pickle and papad for finger licking meal.
Dal, the most loved comfort food and so easy to make. This dal recipe has all the flavors of sweet, spice and tang which satisfy your palate instantly. It is best enjoyed with white rice and any dry vegetable curry like sauteed cabbage or okra fry. You can also have it with some pickle and papad or spicy potato chips on the side.
The sheer sweetness from the lentils and onions, the spicy kick from the chillies, ginger and garlic, and the tanginess from tamarind pulp and tomatoes make this dish a win-win every time. You can just not go wrong with this recipe.
In this recipe, I have used toor dal, you can also use split mung dal. Also, I use the same recipe to make palak dal. Just add a cup or two of chopped spinach and you have palak dal. A simple recipe where you cook all at once in a pressure cooker and add a simple tadka to bring the whole dish to life.
1 cup toor dal
1/2 cup chopped yellow onions, finely chopped
2 green chillies, finely chopped or slit lengthwise
1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
1 medium size tomato, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
2 cups spinach (optional)
1 teaspoon salt or as needed
2 tablespoon tamarind pulp
2 tablespoon ghee or oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
3-4 whole red chillies
1 tablespoon thinly sliced garlic
cilantro for garnishing
- In a pressure cooker, add dal, onion, ginger, garlic, tomato, turmeric powder, chilli powder, spinach (if used), salt and 21/2 cups water. Mix well and cook for 2-3 whistles.
- Once the pressure is released, remove the lid and whisk to make it smooth and creamy.
- Add the tamarind pulp and water if needed. Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile bring a small pan to heat on medium flame. Add ghee.
- When the ghee is hot enough, add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Allow it to crackle. Next, add the whole red chillies and garlic slices. Fry for a minute until the garlic has slightly browned.
- Pour this mixture to the dal and simmer for 4-5 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with steamed rice.